Anxiety is a common emotion is experienced by all and sometimes characterised by various different feelings like fear, anger, sadness and panic. Anxiety is an emotion that is designed to protect us from engaging in any harmful behaviour that may cause us indulging in some harmful behaviour.
When anxiety becomes an irrational dread of everyday situations gives a feeling of worry and tension becomes disabling disorder and needs medical attention. Although, anxiety doesn’t come with any warning signs certain dietary changes can help in reducing the occurrence of anxiety and would also alleviate the symptoms. These dietary changes include:
- Eating complex carbohydrates like potatoes, whole grains, whole wheat, yam and brown rice increases serotonin in the brain creating a calming effect.
- It is recommended to eat frequent small meals during the day, as keeping a long gap between meals leads to low blood sugar level causing anxiety.
- Although alcohol is said to give calmness to mind for some people when alcohol metabolises with the body, it leads to anxiety-like symptoms.
- Keeping a balance of nutrients in the body through maintaining an adequate intake of them through milk, green vegetables, eggs, sesame seeds, whole grains, nuts and soybean prevents anxiety.
- Excess of coffee, tea, cigarettes and soft drinks stimulates an adrenal response in the body leading to anxiety.
- Doing physical exercises, laughing, yoga and mediating relaxes your mind and reduces the stress hormones.
- Eating essential fatty acids like fish oil, nuts and fish supplements affects mood in a positive manner.
The natural remedy to anxiety is surrounding yourself with positive people and positive thoughts. These things help you in keeping a balanced state of mind.